Headquartered in Boston, Forward Financing has been recognized as a Best Place to Work by the Boston Business Journal and Built In Boston and is certified as a Great Place to Work.® At Forward, we believe every business deserves financial opportunity. That’s why we provide fast, flexible capital to small businesses that have often been underserved by traditional financing options. Our mission is to build a world-class fintech company so our customers and people can reach their full potential. We’re investing in our employees, technology, and customer experience – with long-term success in mind every step of the way.
In this role as Counsel, you will assist in handling the Company’s arbitration caseload from start to finish, as well as assist with various other legal matters. You will report to the Senior Counsel, work closely with a team of Legal Assistants, and collaborate frequently with other attorneys and support staff on our legal team, as well as with other employees throughout the Company.
In this role you will:
- Own a portfolio of 100+ arbitration matters, following each case from inception to conclusion.
- Attend and present at all arbitration hearings (generally telephonically).
- Draft all arbitration documents, including case statements, legal briefing and otherwise.
- Prepare all discovery production, engage in discovery conferences and motion practice as needed.
- Oversee the preparation and submission of evidentiary documents.
- Manage a team of legal assistants.
- Assist with courtroom litigation or subpoenas involving the Company.
- Provide assistance on various other general matters within the legal department.
(Even if you don’t check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply.)
- 2-4 years of experience as an attorney in a litigation or arbitration context.
- Admitted to the MA Bar and is in good standing.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with senior management, fellow employees and external counsel.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Self-motivated, organized and able to work independently.
- Effective in a fast-paced environment.
Forward Financing Core Values:
- Drive the Mission - We believe in financial opportunity for underserved small businesses. We say “yes” when others say “no.”
- Keep It Real - We value direct communication, candid feedback, and authenticity. We are an open book.
- Act With Kindness - We create an environment where caring is cool and helping is the norm. We do the right thing.
- Shoot for Extraordinary - We are inspired by innovative thinking and continuous improvement. We never settle for yesterday’s best.
Forward Financing is a fintech company headquartered in Boston that provides fast, flexible, and reliable capital to small businesses nationwide. Since 2012, Forward has provided over $1.6 billion in financing to more than 40,000 small businesses. Forward has been consistently named by the Boston Business Journal and Built In Boston (and more!) as one of the best places to work in Massachusetts.
Forward actively promotes a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion in all we do. We encourage a workplace where trust and respect are paramount and all employees feel valued, heard, and accepted. By accepting diversity of thought, background, and identity, we will continue to become a stronger team and a better organization.
Our diverse and driven group of over 400 people, with more than 200 based in the U.S., and 200 internationally, is a 100% employee-owned company. Our employees come to work (or log on virtually!) knowing they are helping thousands of small businesses while advancing their own careers. If this sounds exciting to you, learn more about our leadership team and our open opportunities.
Perks & Benefits:
At Forward, our team members are at the heart of our company, and we are committed to taking care of them as people, not just employees. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, and commuter benefits, a flexible time-off policy, 401k match, wellness reimbursement, paid volunteering days, annual professional development budget, and charitable donation match.
The health and safety of our colleagues is our top priority and we currently maintain a policy requiring all US-based employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Forward Financing is an equal opportunity employer and will consider a reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. We will continue to follow the latest CDC guidelines in our office and for any planned in-person gatherings. Plus, we have implemented an Employee Choice policy, so team members can work where they feel most comfortable.
At Forward, employee choice means each individual gets to decide where they work. Almost all team members have the choice of where to live and where to work. As a business, we are focused on impact; we are more concerned with your contributions to the success of the company than where you get your work done. If face-to-face time is desired, people managers are empowered to find a cadence that works for their team.
When we aren’t collaborating to drive business and support our customers, we’re finding virtual and in-person ways to get to know our colleagues, celebrate team wins, and have fun together!