Sr. Director, Engineering
Forward Financing has been recognized as one of the fastest-growing fintech companies in Boston for the past five years, as recognized by Boston Business Journal and Inc. Magazine. At Forward, we believe every business deserves financial opportunity. That’s why we provide fast, flexible capital to small businesses that have often been underserved by traditional financing options. Our mission is to build a world-class fintech company so our customers and people can reach their full potential. We’re investing in our employees, technology, and customer experience – with long-term success in mind every step of the way.
We are looking for a technology leader who has experience running multiple engineering teams working across multiple existing product lines, business initiatives and innovation strategies. This Senior Director of Engineering will lead vision, strategy and execution for our engineering teams, while partnering closely with Product, DevOps and InfoSec (TechOps). This position requires a strong leader with the ability to balance innovation and experimentation of new approaches, while driving execution and focus on key existing business drivers. This role will also serve as a liaison with the larger business operations of Forward Financing, and thus requires an influencer for the platform and technology initiatives at all levels of the company.
In this role you will:
- Participate as a senior leader in the larger Engineering organization
- Leading 4, or more, engineering teams, collaborating with VP of Technology, Product Management, DevOps and Information Security to deliver a shared vision and roadmap
- Collaborate with other leaders across the business, to understand needs, set appropriate expectations, contribute technical thought leadership, and regularly review challenges and opportunities
- Encourage and empower engineering talent within the team
- Promote a “one-team” mentality that encourages ownership around technical and customer problems regardless of organizational boundaries
- Focus engineering on scale, efficiency and reliability, and use of appropriate metrics to measure the team's success
- Prepare and present status, opportunities, and challenges in various forums such as quarterly and yearly planning, etc. and seek feedback from executive leaders
- Partnering with senior technical contributors to develop and implement the teams' technical roadmaps
- Hiring, developing, and mentoring other leaders and engineers
(Even if you don’t check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply.)
- A minimum of 5 years in engineering leadership, with 2+ years running multiple teams along with other engineering managers
- Strong, inspirational leadership skills with an empathetic and conscientious approach
- Ability to develop strong, inclusive relationships
- Ability and desire to work closely with engineering on deep, technical problems at scale
- Ability to facilitate and contribute to architectural design discussions
- A strong focus on data, measurable outcomes, and overall software quality
Forward Financing Core Values:
- People First – We build relationships and genuinely care about each other.
- We Before Me – We prioritize team success over individual success.
- Be Candid – We are authentic, transparent, and direct.
- Do the Right Thing – We act with integrity and we don’t cut corners.
- Relentless Improvement – We push ourselves, never settling for the best we did yesterday.
- Be Positive – We are optimistic and assume positive intent.
Forward Financing is a Boston-based fintech company that provides fast, flexible, and reliable capital to small businesses nationwide. Since 2012, Forward has provided over $1.5 billion in financing to more than 35,000 small businesses. Forward has been consistently named by the Boston Business Journal and Built in Boston (and more!) as one of the best places to work in Massachusetts.
Forward actively promotes a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion in all we do. We encourage a workplace where trust and respect are paramount and all employees feel valued, heard, and accepted. By accepting diversity of thought, background, and identity, we will continue to become a stronger team and a better organization.
We are a diverse and driven group of over 200 people, with an office located in the heart of Boston’s Financial District. Our employees come to work (or log on virtually!) knowing they are helping thousands of small businesses while advancing their own careers. If this sounds exciting to you, learn more about our leadership team and our open opportunities.
Perks & Benefits:
At Forward, our team members are at the heart of our company, and we are committed to taking care of them as people, not just employees. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, and commuter benefits, a flexible time-off policy, 401k match, wellness reimbursement, paid volunteering days, annual professional development budget, and charitable donation match.
The health and safety of our colleagues is our top priority and we currently maintain a policy requiring all US-based employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Forward Financing is an equal opportunity employer and will consider a reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. We will continue to follow the latest CDC guidelines in our office and for any planned in-person gatherings. Plus, we have implemented an Employee Choice policy, so team members can work where they feel most comfortable.
At Forward, employee choice means each individual gets to decide where they work. Almost all team members have the choice of where to live and where to work. As a business, we are focused on impact; we are more concerned with your contributions to the success of the company than where you get your work done. If face-to-face time is desired, people managers are empowered to find a cadence that works for their team.
When we aren’t collaborating to drive business and support our customers, we’re finding virtual and in-person ways to get to know our colleagues, celebrate team wins, and have fun together!