Sr. Director, Underwriting
Headquartered in Boston, Forward Financing has been recognized as a Best Place to Work by the Boston Business Journal and Built In Boston and is certified as a Great Place to Work.® At Forward, we believe every business deserves financial opportunity. That’s why we provide fast, flexible capital to small businesses that have often been underserved by traditional financing options. Our mission is to build a world-class fintech company so our customers and people can reach their full potential. We’re investing in our employees, technology, and customer experience – with long-term success in mind every step of the way.
Underwriting is the backbone of Forward Financing and our ability to evaluate and appropriately price risk is a key differentiating factor for us in the marketplace. As the head of the Underwriting department, you will manage a growing team (currently 30+ employees) with the responsibility of owning the financial and operating performance of the department. In this role, you will partner with the Executive Team to drive process improvements, operational excellence, and develop the underwriters as we continue to scale the department.
In this role you will:
- Own Underwriting performance outcomes including key department KPIs and strategic goals
- Design a scalable department structure
- Proactively identify areas that can improve decision making, ways to improve process, and the overall capability of the department and have accountability for implementing these ideas
- Be an excellent change manager, with demonstrated ability to launch successful changes across the department, understanding the impact on other teams and the company, and leveraging relationships to build buy-in for the changes
- Work with leadership in Sales, Account Servicing, and Processing departments to drive optimal company performance
- Establish performance and development goals for staff on an annual basis and adjust through the year as needed
- Mentor and grow the careers of the Underwriting team
(Even if you don’t check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply.)
- 8+ years of experience with at least 3 years managing a team
- Bachelor’s Degree; MBA preferred
- Experience building and scaling teams
- A proven track record of improving processes
- Effective in fast-paced environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Forward Financing Core Values:
- Drive the Mission - We believe in financial opportunity for underserved small businesses. We say “yes” when others say “no.”
- Keep It Real - We value direct communication, candid feedback, and authenticity. We are an open book.
- Act With Kindness - We create an environment where caring is cool and helping is the norm. We do the right thing.
- Shoot for Extraordinary - We are inspired by innovative thinking and continuous improvement. We never settle for yesterday’s best.
Forward Financing is a fintech company headquartered in Boston that provides fast, flexible, and reliable capital to small businesses nationwide. Since 2012, Forward has provided over $1.9 billion in financing to more than 45,000 small businesses. Forward has been consistently named by the Boston Business Journal and Built In Boston (and more!) as one of the best places to work in Massachusetts.
Forward actively promotes a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion in all we do. We encourage a workplace where trust and respect are paramount and all employees feel valued, heard, and accepted. By accepting diversity of thought, background, and identity, we will continue to become a stronger team and a better organization.
Our diverse and driven group of over 500 people, with more than 250 based in the U.S., and 250 internationally, is a 100% employee-owned company. Our employees come to work (or log on virtually!) knowing they are helping thousands of small businesses while advancing their own careers. If this sounds exciting to you, learn more about our leadership team and our open opportunities.
Perks & Benefits:
At Forward, our team members are at the heart of our company, and we are committed to taking care of them as people, not just employees. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, and commuter benefits, a flexible time-off policy, 401k match, wellness reimbursement, paid volunteering days, annual professional development budget, and charitable donation match.
The health and safety of our colleagues is our top priority, which is why we will continue to follow the latest CDC guidelines on COVID-19 in our office. We have also implemented an Employee Choice policy, so that team members can work where they feel most comfortable.
At Forward, employee choice means each individual gets to decide where they work. Almost all team members have the choice of where to live and where to work. As a business, we are focused on impact; we are more concerned with your contributions to the success of the company than where you get your work done. If face-to-face time is desired, people managers are empowered to find a cadence that works for their team.
When we aren’t collaborating to drive business and support our customers, we’re finding virtual and in-person ways to get to know our colleagues, celebrate team wins, and have fun together!